While I was home for the holidays, my dad came up with the idea of creating 50 New Year’s resolutions. It sounded like something up my alley, so I went for it and:
I wrote down a lot of New Year’s resolutions.
I only got to 27, but that’s okay. It turned out to be more of a goal list for 2009. List below. I will post updates to them in bold as they come.
- Do not incur ATM fees unless it’s an emergency- approximately 10 so far…lame. I usually end up doing it when needing more quarters for laundry at the mat. Terrible way to go. I suck.
- Redecorate (let’s be honest- decorate) my bedroom- painted room, bought two new lampshades and a new comforter
- Answer my phone when it rings- slightly better?
- Get a new phone that holds a charge- got a second third new battery….I think this is the one, folks!
- Create a sweet home filing system
- Go to 2 new cities- went to Des Moines for a wedding in May. Adorable downtown! Sonoma, CA scheduled for November.
- Limit candy intake- have changed this rule to allow candy ONLY at the movies. 🙂 This one is out. I suck.
- Keep up with my blog (get to 365 new things)- have added posts
- Get easy access to a washer/dryer- have created a good system of dropping off on my way to work, changing at lunch, and folding before heading home.
- Send more thank you notes- sent lots
- Increase 401K contribution- inquired about it with HR, and found out I can change it in March. Increased 401K bimonthly contribution by 200%!!
- Work towards establishing a real, contrary to my current pretend, emergency fund- have remained steady on paycheck direct transfers to savings and have been adding most “windfalls” into my savings account (birthday checks, etc.). I suck.
- Make pasta from scratch
- Improve upon grocery shopping regularly- have gotten stuff for breakfasts and lunches
- Send my nieces/nephew letters and/or fun packages- have actually purchased toys/clothes for this purpose and still have yet to send them one month later! wtf? Did manage to send niece a birthday package when she turned 4. Started to become penpals with 6 year-old nephew.
- Choose a great excerpt to read for Emily and Billy’s wedding- started creeping around town to look for this.
- Buy a scooter
- Join a CSA again
- Take a pilates or bikram yoga class- took a Bikram yoga class
- Use coupons at the grocery store
- Run a race big or small- signed up to run the Shamrock shuffle on March 29. 5 miles. The day came it was a blizzard. No thanks.
- Read 5 books (small number, I know, but I suck at allotting myself enough time to read for pleasure)- read A Prayer For Owen Meany, Julie and Julia, My Life in France, Water for Elephants, When You are Engulfed in Flames
- Track my spending.- have tracked every penny since Jan. 1. And, WOW.
- Host a murder mystery party- did this on 1/17/09. The pastry chef dunnit.
- Learn how to change a tire
- Go camping
- Take at least 20 credit hours of school- have taken 2 credit hours so far. What?
Fun factor: 8